Thursday, October 1, 2009

May I take your order?



This morning I got up bright and early after going to bed early and I decided that since yesterday was pay day I would skip the plain old cup of coffee at work and stop at Starbucks to get a Pumpkin Spice Latte in honor of the new weather that is here. The drive thru line was SO long, so I parked and went inside, since I had plenty of time. Here is the synopsis of the scene: One man in line ahead of me, a teenager and his mom waiting on their drinks and me. Now, here is the conversation when I get to the counter to order:
Starbucks Lady: What can I get for you?
Me: (smiling at her) I would like a Grande Pumpkin Spice Latte, no whip, and a plain bagel please.
SBL: That'll be a Grande Pumpkin Spice Latte and a plain bagel, is that all?
Me: (Still smiling) Yes ma'am, that's it.
SBL: $5.?? something something.
Me: (I hand her my card.)
SBL (While writing my order on the paper cup) Name please?
Me: Becky.
SBL: Do you kids get to bring this to school or something?
Me: (Looking over my shoulder to see who she may be talking to, figuring out that she is talking to me and lose the smile. And stare at her.)
SBL: When I was in school we weren't allowed to bring things like this to school.
Me: (Still no smile, still staring.) Well, I wouldn't know. I graduated COLLEGE three years ago.
SBL: (Stares at me dumbfounded with a cocked eyebrow. Speechless.)

Word of advice, please do not have a conversation with someone based on assumptions that may not make someone too happy. Especially first thing in the morning! So, I wrote her a little letter. (Ok, not really, but if I did, it would read something like this):

Dear Starbucks Lady,

Good morning. I came into your store today in a great and happy mood wearing a smile. I was looking forward to that Pumpkin Spice Latte before I went to my big girl job (even with my dog, but you didn't know that). I even got up early for it. Now, I know looks may be deceiving when someone walks in dressed like a sorority girl, you think that the polo and pearls are a tell-tale sign that one may be in school and aspiring to have Greek letters accompanying her name. I, however, am not one of those. I have been there. Done that. And I have plenty of t-shirts to prove it. I know I have no wrinkles and young looking skin, I get it from my mama. However, I do not like to be referred to as a child when I am old enough to have one of my own. Do not assume you know me, and let me enjoy my Pumpkin Spice Latte in peace. Please? Thank you, and have a good rest of the day.

Going through the drive-thru next time,
Becky, 24 years old

P.S. - I left my smile on your counter, maybe you could borrow it for the next customer?

5 comments:

  1. You are totally cute little girl! LOL! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I love it! I get the same sort of thing all the time! I expect several condecsending and disapproving stares when I walk around alone with a baby ("Poor high school girl, all knocked up") haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Jess, you are too funny! I can only imagine the stares and what people are thinking! You do look young yourself! I guess we'll appreciate it when we're 40?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO!!! Oh, when you are 39.5 years old like me and no one mistakes you for a college student anymore or asks to see ID, you will looooooong for these days!!! It seems not so long ago that I was fighting for credibility and wanting credit for every year of my existence - and remember getting furious at a middle-aged colleague who thought I was 24 not 27!!! Hey, at least you got Starbucks. Not an entirely bad start to your day.

    ReplyDelete