Friday, June 26, 2009

ABC. Easy as....


123. Simple as do re mi. ABC, 123, baby you and me girl.
So, sad news....Michael Jackson has passed away. What sad news it was for the world yesterday, we first were mourning the loss of Farrah Fawcett, everyone's beloved "Angel" and then we heard the news that Michael Jackson was rushed to the hospital not breathing and that he eventually died at UCLA Medical Center. It was a sad day for Hollywood and the world. I may be a bit too young to fully appreciate Farrah's legacy and impact on the salon industry with her wispy blond locks, but I am definitely not too young to remember the way Michael Jackson changed the music and dance industry. What kid hasn't moon walked, watched the Thriller video over and over to learn the steps, owned MJ's BAD album on tape, or if you are like me, imitated his famous "crotch grab" while standing in your highchair in front of your Southern Baptist preacher's family. Just saying....

But, besides his legacy of great music and dancing like he doesn't have a bone in his body, MJ had so many other things surrounding him, not limited to scandal and humanitarianism. Everyone who is interviewed about Michael Jackson can't say enough about what a nice person he was. Sure, he may have been pretty eccentric in his clothing choices as well as a few other things, but he did more than that. He also had 2 stars on the Walk of Fame, one for the Jackson 5 and one for his solo career. Many people don't realize how much time and money he even devoted to charities. He was in the Guinness Book of World Records in 2000 for breaking the record of "Most Charities Supported by a Pop Star." He has personally contributed time and money to at least 39 different charities. That is something to remember about a person, and I think it is pretty cool. Sure he made some bad choices, but he also left a legacy for some that shouldn't be forgotten.

I am sure so many things will come out in the coming days about his death and everyone will be talking about him, but lets not forget the good things. It is sad that it took the death of "The King of Pop" for MTV (Music Television) to actually play music videos! Last night, I couldn't stop watching them. It reminded me of being little and I was surprised at how many songs I actually knew.

Anyway, on a lighter note, I have no big plans this weekend because I have to work. Yes, work! Boo! We have a big project we are working on and someone (that someone being, well, me) has to come in over the weekend and work on it. Sunday, I will even be working while most of your pretty faces will be SLEEPING! :( So, you can dream of me working away at my computer and chugging caffeine (I am NOT a night person). It is almost the 4th of July! That is one of my favorite holidays! Me being the political science major that I am, I am pretty fond of a holiday that celebrates a part of our nation's history! (Nerd, I know.)

Y'all have a great weekend! I will catch back up with you when I can! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment