Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Inspiration


Have you ever had someone in your life that really made an impact? Well, I have. And the most impact I have had from someone (not related to me) is a teacher I had in high school. Now, my brother and I are 6 years apart, but we graduated from the same high school and had a lot of the same teachers. One teacher that he had that influenced him a lot was Mrs. S. He LOVED her and her classes and all of the fun stuff he got to experience while in her classes. I couldn't wait to get to be a high school senior so I could have her as well.

When I was a senior, I got to be in her class both semesters (we had a 4 period schedule, so classes were different each semester). I had her for AP Government and Economics. We had a very competitive government team that participated in We the People, which is an academic competition based on the US Constitution and court cases that have been decided based on interpretation of the Constitution. I have NEVER learned as much in another class through out every level of education I have had (including undergrad and grad school). I have always used what I have learned in her class. She is a perpetually positive person, and even though we may have given her some trouble when she took us to Washington, DC for a government team competition, there was never a dull moment and I never saw her lose her patience with us. She is the main reason I do what I do today! She got me involved in politics and helped foster my passion for political science, government, and civil service. When I got to college, I changed majors from Communications to Political Science because I couldn't let go of the huge impact her classes had on me. Then, I interned on Capitol Hill just so I could get back to Washington, DC and be right in the middle of everything that I had grown to love. She even let her students have a hands on experience when she ran for office and was elected. Even though it has been over 6 years since I graduated from high school, she still asks about me and remembers exactly what I am doing. (I work in politics now too!) Although the fate of her future lies in the hands of a judge today because she was convicted of using her political connections to obtain a job with Alabama's two-year college system and then rarely showing up for work, her character, to me, has never been compromised. I am forever in debt to her for helping give me the drive to get to where I am today! Thanks Mrs. S! You are one great lady, no matter what anyone says! (Just ask her students, I don't know any of them who would have one bad thing to say!) See for yourself at this! And now, they just handed down her sentence, 30 months in prison, which I disagree with.

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I had a favorite teacher in high school who was an inspiration well beyond the days spent in his class. Great teachers are invaluable. I've heard some of the news reports about the case with this community college administrator and I really appreciate hearing a different perspective. How refreshing. Just serves as a reminder that each person's life story is far more complex and layered than the small pieces that are public. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete