Tuesday, August 11, 2009

RUSH


It is August again. That brings a lot of things. Heat. School. Another year of my life celebrated. The end of summer. and sorority rush. My friend Lindsey has the privilege to be revisiting our younger days and joining her sorority for rush, this time as an advisor. Wow, we are getting old. Now, if you are not from the south, you may not know how we do it down here (especially at The University of Alabama), but Bid Day for some girls, is just as important as their wedding day. There is crazy planning that goes into planning for recruitment from both sides, the girls and the sororities. It is the most stressful two weeks (times 4 years) I have ever been through in my life. But, it is serious business and we don't play. One thing I will always remember is the first time I saw a door song. (If you don't know what it is, I don't know how else to explain it to you other than a wall of girls singing at you.) The first thing I heard was (VERY LOUD AND VERY FAST):
"OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH......ADPI girls here we are, just what you've been looking for, we're waiting, we're waiting for you to come in. We're hoping you'll like us and come back again. Duh duh duh, we'll be sisters firm and true, spending all our time with you, so come on in and have a seat, ADPI girls can't be beat. A-L-P-H-A-D-E-L-T-A-P-I-Pi Oh Myyyyyy!!!! Alpha Delta Pi. Hi. Welcome to the ADPI house, come on in."

Then, after you go through the house and do whatever is scheduled for you that day, they sing again on the way out. I will NEVER forget the first time I saw that! There is nothing like it. I cannot tell you how overwhelmed I was that first day. But I got used to it and had a BLAST! And am very glad I chose ADPi and called it home for the next 4 years. (I lived in the sorority house my Freshman (2nd semester) through my junior year. It was a lot of fun, and gave me lots of memories (and lots of patience). I even got to live in the ADPi house at George Washington University while I worked in DC. My roommate was an ADPi from The University of Michigan, and we still keep in touch! I made friends and memories that will last a lifetime! So to Lindsey: good luck and may you have LOTS and LOTS of patience! I can't think of a better person to be a DZ advisor! :) Wish we could be back in 2006 for a little less stress as Rho Chi's! :)

Alpha Delta Pi - DJ $crilla
*All photos by Sarah Kramm.

4 comments:

  1. The linkly love going on in this post made my heart smile. LOVE it, Becky. What a great tribute to recruitment at The U of A.

    Love how greek life brings girls together...even if they are in different sororities.

    The only thing that would make this better would be if you were advising ADPi and I was at DZ...now that, my friend would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI - something BIG is happening at Sunshinemeg tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of that sounds like a lot of fun!! There are no sororities and things like those down here! And I only studied one semester of college in the states so I never got the opportunity to do any of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bid day is huge! When I was in college and in my sorority everyone loved rush week and finally getting to bid day was amazing! I always loved rush!

    ReplyDelete