Well, yesterday was our President's birthday. He turned 48. So, since Mr. Obama has a birthday in the best month of all, I thought I would share a few facts about August birthdays.....(really it is only because I am really sleepy and have little to say other than the fact that I have been told twice today that I am very "Jackie O").
On to August birthday facts:
(found on butlerwebs.net)
1. More people in the US have a birthday in August than any other month.
2. Astrological signs are Leo and Virgo.
3. Birthstones are Jade and Peridot.
4. The flower is Gladiolus (meaning "simply beautiful")
5. Monthly observances this month are: Eye Exam Month, and Romance Awareness Month (among others)
6. Cool people are born in August. (Ok, this may not be a real fact, but to me, an opinion is a fact)
7. I have already mailed more cards this month than I have almost all year.
Facts about August in general:
1. In the Northern Hemisphere, this month brings the hottest days.
2. In the Southern Hemisphere, it means winter is almost over.
3. Birds are starting their planning to fly south for winter.
4. Colorado became the 38th state August 1, 1876 and Missouri became the 24th state August 10, 1821 and Hawaii became the 50th state.
5. Richard Nixon became the first US President ever to resign from office August 9, 1974.
6. The first atomic bomb that was used in warfare was dropped in August. (August 6, 1945)
7. British troops burned the White House August 24, 1814.
8. August is the busiest time for tourism.
9. The Model T Ford (or the Tin Lizzie) first went on sale in the month of August.
10. World War II ended in August 1945.
11. The Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in August1911.
12. Martin Luther King made his famous "I Have a Dream" speech the month of August.
13. Princess Diana was killed in August of 1997.
So, Happy Birthday Mr. President (a day late). Thanks for giving me this opportunity to ramble on about silly facts about the month of August to bore my readers to death. I promise that more interesting things will come soon (well, maybe).
Happy August 5 everyone.....one real life birthday that is today, my friend Alyse that I have known forever! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALYSE!! I hope you are enjoying the beach and I am very jealous that you have your toes in the sand and a bathing suit on while I have my toes crammed in heels and am wearing a business suit! Happy Birthday though! Hope it is a great year with many more to come!! :)